Monster Energy Kawasaki's Ferry Ties For AMA Motocross Lead.
MILLVILLE, Minn. – Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki rider
Ryan Villopoto captured the overall victory in the AMA Motocross
Lites class at the ninth round of the AMA Toyota Motocross
Championship. Teammates Ben Townley and Brett Metcalfe
joined him atop the podium to take the second and third
positions, respectively, for the first-ever one-two-three finish by
a manufacturer in AMA Motocross history.
Performances by Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki riders
placed the Kawasaki KX™250F in all six Lites class podium
positions, another first-ever among manufacturers.
The fight for the AMA Motocross Lites Championship was at a
pinnacle coming into Spring Creek Motocross Park as Townley
and Villopoto sat just two points apart at the top of the standings.
After a weekend of intense competition battling back and fourth
and swapping moto wins, the Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/
Kawasaki teammates headed home in the same situation.
In the first moto, it was Townley who capitalized on great lines
and corner speed to lead him to the victory.
“Ryan passed me pretty fast on the first lap and I hung with him.
I knew I couldn’t let him get away and I didn’t,” said Townley. “I
countered and was able to stay with him. I am not sure what he
did or what happened but I got into the lead and just did my deal
and won the race.”
In moto two Villopoto put in an inspired ride for the win and
earned the overall victory (2-1).
“I definitely didn’t get the start I wanted in the second moto, but
I tend to ride a little bit different when something like that
happens,” said Villopoto. “From now on, I think I need to get
around fifth-place starts.”
Metcalfe, who has been plagued with injury throughout his first
season with the team, put in an impressive performance and
came away with a 3-3 finish for third overall. Overwhelmed with
emotion and finally back in the game, he let his emotions show on
the podium.
“It’s really been a tough year and it’s been my goal all along to
make it happen,” said Metcalfe. “And you dream of that moment
and when it finally happened it really got to me. I am just so
excited.”
Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki’s Chris Gosselaar finished in
the 22nd position.
In the AMA Motocross division, Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Timmy
Ferry had trouble off the start of both motos, including getting
tangled up in a crash in moto one that placed him at the back of
the pack, and finished with a 8-6 moto finish, placing him sixth
overall.
“It was a really rough day for me,” said Ferry. “I have had some
great weeks and this was not one of them. I struggled with starts
and just never could get going. But we still left tied for the points
lead and that’s good considering I fell in the first turn and got ran
over.”
Ferry was able to overtake his Monster Energy Kawasaki
teammate James Stewart in the point standings and is now tied
for the lead with three rounds remaining. Stewart missed the
Millville race due to a knee injury and his status is uncertain for
the remainder of the season. click on ozzy go to the full story
Kawasaki riders sweep AMA Motocross¨podium for the first time in history -ozzy go-
Monday, August 13, 2007 Labels: AMA MX, AMA MX Lites, AMA MX-class, Ben Townley, Brett Metcalfe, Kawasaki Racers, Kawasaki US MX, Motocross, NZ Racers, Oz Racers, Ryan Villopoto, Timmy Ferry