Ward wins his final race, Burkhart claims first title -ozzy go- amasupermoto.com

While Troy Lee Designs Honda’s Jeff Ward ended his reign as AMA
Red Bull Supermoto champion with a ride befitting that title, it was
his primary rival, Graves Yamaha’s Mark Burkhart, who had the
most to celebrate following the final contest of the ten-round
series.

Always fast, the Ohioan largely lived up to his preseason vow to
also become a heady and patient competitor this season and
Sunday’s ride at the Morongo Casino Resort & Spa was yet
another sterling example.

While Ward checked out at the front, leading every single lap and
never crossing the stripe with any rider within a second of him,
Burkhart settled in for a relatively safe ride in the top five,
needing just three points to secure his first-ever AMA Supermoto
crown. In the end he scooped yet another podium finish, taking
third, more than enough to claim the #1 plate.

Burkhart ended the season with eight podium finishes in ten
races, including a season-leading six victories.

"I am very excited to win the championship," commented
Burkhart. "I rode smart today and I am just happy and proud to
win a title for Graves Yamaha. This championship really is for
Doug Henry. It is such an inspiration having him come to these
races. Doug deserves this championship more then any of us on
the podium."

While the title fight was lost, Ward and his teammate, Cassidy
Anderson, did their team proud at ‘Troy Lee’s Mayhem at the
Morongo,’ concluding the 2007 campaign with a stellar 1-2 result.
The forty-something former Indy Car and Supercross ace proved
once again that he still has the speed and ability to rank firmly
among the world’s elite in the hybrid sport. He earned bookending
wins and nine podiums this season, with only a mechanical woe in
Texas truly sinking his chance for yet another title.

Ward announced that this victory would be the last of his
legendary career as he is going out on top, retiring after his
season-ending victory. "I am happy to have been able to run out
front today, and come away safe from this event," remarked
Ward. "This will be my last Supermoto race. I have been racing
and competing for a very long time and it wears and tears at you
over time. I am still going to be at the races and involved in
Supermoto, but now I will..." full story on amasupermoto.com
pics from vitalmx.com