With the USA domination two weeks ago in Budds Creek I decided
to do a story on why Team USA did so well. It is a feature for
MotoX magazine in England and after reading some of the quotes
from riders I just had to share some of it with you. Jeff Emig the
American legend who won the event a few times with Team USA
had some really interesting things to say. What really impressed
me was the respect he has for Stefan Everts as a rider, and the
respect Emig had for the GP riders.
I remember seeing Emig for the first time at the Motocross of
Nations in 1993 in Austria. He was teamed with Jeremy McGrath
and I think the third rider was Mike Kiedrowski. Emig had ridden
in the 1992 MXoN in Australia and took victory for Team USA in
what everyone called the B-Team. Since that Aussie adventure
Emig was a familar rider for Team USA, racing in 1992, 1993,
1994, 1995, 1996 and 1997. It was a run of six consecutive years
and saw him battle hard with the best Grand Prix riders of that
era. Emig remembered it well.
"I expected to win my class everytime I went. The first year was
difficult, but I wanted a piece of Everts so bad. We were both
young guns and wanted to have a shootout..." read the full story
Jeff Eming on KX500cc at the 1996 MXoN in Spain - racerxill.com